22 August, 2009

Cats and Dogs


A quiz: what's this man doing?



I'll give you a clue.



Give up yet? Here's the answer.



I'm not really the biggest fan of team sports --- I barely know the difference between a cricket post and a a rugby bat, but on Friday I went along to the Australian Rules Football game between the Gellong Cats



and the Western Bulldogs.



I should have done some reading on Wikipedia first because after watching the first quarter of the game things made as much sense as Farnarkling.

Even when you don't know what's going on, the game is fun to watch; which, I guess, is why over 46,000 people turned up to see a game between two teams, neither of whom will probably reach the final, in a sport that is played in half of Australia and nowhere else in the world.



The game moves very quickly, almost like basketball or netball, without all the business of men rolling around in the mud holding each other that seems to be the main feature of rugby.



The referees also help with the watch-ability of the game when they do things like this:









Even without a pie,



I enjoyed the game much more than I expected and can happily say that it's the most entertaining of the many versions of grown men chasing an inflated pigs bladder.



Go Cats!


09-08 Cats and Dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment